The Queen plans to ‘come back to work harder than ever’, source tells Vanity Fair 

0
17


The Queen plans to return to public duty ‘as soon as she possibly can’ and plans to ‘work harder than ever’ after quarantining in Windsor Castle, sources have revealed.

Her Majesty, 94, who has put all her public engagements on hold, is said to be in ‘excellent spirits’ during her quarantine as she resides with her husband Prince Philip, 98, at Windsor Castle.

Sources close to the royal told Vanity Fair‘s Katie Nicholl that after a turbulent start to the year, the Queen is keen for the royal family to show a united front and has been relying on what she calls her ‘substitutes’, including Prince Charles, 71, Camilla, 72, Prince William, 37, and Kate Middleton, 38.

A friend revealed that the Queen is ‘riding out every day’ and ‘making the most of the time’ in quarantine, explaining: ‘One of the nicest things for the Queen is that she is getting to spend more time with her husband than she usually would. They have dinner together in the evenings and I imagine the Queen is of the generation where she dresses for dinner.’

The Queen, 94, has been riding out every day and ‘making the most of her time in quarantine’ but is determined to return to public duty and ‘work harder than ever’, according to royal sources

According to one source, while the Queen wouldn’t be seen to go against government advice, she has been ‘looking forward to getting back to normal’ during the coronavirus crisis.  

The royal feels it is ‘a delicate line’, the source added, before explaining: ‘I think we will see her doing private audiences again and more of the work we are used to seeing her do in public at some point in the future.’

Meanwhile they went on to explain how the royal is still receiving her red Government boxes and having a weekly audience with the Prime Minister.

The source added that she was ‘very much fufilling her duties as head of state.’  

Sources said the royal was enjoying time with Prince Philip while quarantining together at Windsor Castle

Sources said the royal was enjoying time with Prince Philip while quarantining together at Windsor Castle 

Meanwhile the royal is also said to have been ‘frustrated’ that spring and summer events, such as Trooping the Colour, have been cancelled.

But, having left Buckingham Palace in March, she plans to return to her London residence as soon as it is safe to do so. 

And while spring and summer events may have been cancelled, it is understood that events have been planned for the Queen in autumn.

A second source said that there is ‘a keenness’ from the Queen to return to the sort of work she has always done. 

The Queen and Prince Philip are currently isolating together at Windsor Castle during the coronavirus pandemic

The Queen and Prince Philip are currently isolating together at Windsor Castle during the coronavirus pandemic 

The source explained: ‘The Queen is planning to come back to work and when she does I think we’ll see her work harder than ever.’

Despite her determination to return to normality, the Queen is said to be making the most of her time at Windsor Castle with Prince Philip.  

A friend added that one of the ‘nicest things’ for the Queen was spending more time with her husband, who usually resides at Sandringham.  

The comments come after royal biographer Andrew Morton, 66, told The Sun that he feared the Queen may never be able to return to her regular duties and will most likely be seen on TV or video links rather than in public. 

The Queen is said to feel 'frustrated' that spring and summer events such as Trooping the Colour have been cancelled

The Queen is said to feel ‘frustrated’ that spring and summer events such as Trooping the Colour have been cancelled 

He told the paper: ‘It’s terribly sad but I can’t see how the Queen can resume her usual job.’ 

Earlier this month, The Sunday Times reported that Buckingham Palace will be closed for the summer for what is believed to be the first time in 27 years, with events including Trooping the Colour and Her Majesty’s garden parties cancelled.

It is believed to be the 94-year-old monarch’s longest absence from her official duties in her 68 year reign, with her schedule not expected to resume until into the autumn at the earliest.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have been isolated there with a reduced household since March 19. The monarch usually returns from Windsor to her central London residence in May before her annual break at Balmoral in July, which is also expected not to go ahead.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here